If there’s one thing LS enthusiasts like, it’s adding more power to their engines. At SEMA 2021, we saw hundreds of LS-powered hot rods, classics, and modern muscle cars with power adders. While turbochargers were very popular this year, we also spotted a number of supercharged powerplants and nitrous-assisted vehicles.
Adding more power seems like a good idea to most, but you certainly want to be sure the engine can handle the extra load and increased cylinder pressure. And if you’re looking to make 1,200 horsepower or more, Cometic Gasket has the perfect solution with its new Spring Energized MLS Head Gasket (SEG).
The new Cometic SEG gasket packages are designed specifically for forced induction applications. The MLS gasket acts like a carrier that locates the ring. The ring is open on the outside and houses a spring on the inside. As the cylinder pressures increase, this design seals more. Cometic told us that this gasket is perfect for 1,200 to 1,500-plus horsepower and doesn’t require any modifications or machining to the heads. And when it’s time to rebuild the engine, only .002- to .003-inches of resurfacing is required before the heads are ready to go again..
- Available Bore Size: 4.150-, 4.200-inches
- Inconel Jacket Construction
- Inconel Spring Construction
- Silver Electro-Plating
- 1100 lbf/linear inch approximate seating load
- 16-micron ring finish
- .063-inch ring thickness (pre-plating)
- No counterbores or ring grooves need
- Used exclusively with Cometic MLS .051″ carrier for ring location and fluid sealing
- Low bore distortion
- Low risk for cylinder headwear
- Extended service life for components
For more information on this new product and others, be sure to check out Cometic.com.